I realized I haven’t posted a recipe in a while so I thought it was about time! The other day I bought an awesome new kitchen gadget: the OXO Julienne Peeler (bought it at The Bay for $10.99). It works like a regular peeler, but the blade is serrated to form long, skinny strips of whatever you’re peeling.
I used it to make an awesome, healthy thai recipe: Thai Zucchini Noodle Salad with a Sesame Peanut Dressing.
I love this salad recipe for a few reasons:
- It has awesome Thai flavors, but without all the grease, sugar & white carbs from traditional Thai food
- It’s a great way to change up a boring old salad
- There are lots of different flavors & textures
- It has a great “noodle-like” texture, but no bad-for-you carbs, just veggies!
- Totally raw, which means it’s full of vitamins & enzymes a.k.a. GOOD for you!
- Great source of healthy fats & protein
Add brown rice or quinoa, and make this a complete protein (whole grains + legumes = complete protein) or as a side with organic chicken, pork or beef. Enjoy!
Thai Zucchini Noodle Salad with Sesame Peanut Dressing
2 medium zucchini
2 large organic carrots
1 cup organic edamame, shelled
¼ cup chopped cashews or peanuts
1 avocado, cubed
1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
½ cup cilantro
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp lime juice
½ tablespoon honey
2 tsp 100% sesame oil
½ tsp organic tamari or soy sauce
1 – 2 tbsp water (to thin out)
1 clove garlic, minced
In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, lime juice, honey, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic & water. Whisk to combine, then set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Using a julienne peeler, cut the zucchini and carrot into long strands. Boil or microwave the edamame, and chop the cilantro & avocado.
In a medium bowl combine the zucchini, carrot, edamame and avocado, add the dressing and toss lightly to combine. Garnish with the cilantro, sesame seeds & cashews and serve.