One of the best parts about cooking healthy food is when you make something that tastes like it should be bad for you.
Last night I made healthy “fried” chicken, and it didn’t disappoint. Don’t believe me? My husband has a weakness for KFC, and he loved it.
I adapted this recipe from February’s issue of Chatelaine, and it meets all my criteria for a weeknight meal: healthy, easy & yummy. The recipe also includes a super simple, delicious cayenne honey drizzle that takes it to the next level.
What makes this version of “fried” chicken healthy?
- It’s baked vs. deep-fried in genetically modified canola oil making it significantly lower in fat
- I used hormone & antibiotic-free chicken thighs
- The crust is made with Nature’s Path organic corn flakes vs. refined, white bread crumbs. TIP: it’s really important to buy organic when it comes to any corn products, as corn, along with soy & canola is one of the top genetically modified foods. Nature’s Path is a great brand and is available at most major grocery stores.
- Being pregnant I used pasteurized honey (anything unpasteurized is unsafe if you’re pregnant), but if you’re not pregnant, un-pasteurized honey is the way to go because the pasteurization process hasn’t removed any of the health benefits
- Before “breading” the chicken, it’s dipped in a mixture of egg yolk, Dijon mustard and honey – all healthful ingredients
- Serve it with a kale salad vs. deep-fried French fries (Costco makes an amazing kale salad blend that makes getting your greens super easy! Pictured in the middle below.)
If you’re looking for an amazing, healthy recipe to serve at your Super Bowl party on Sunday or an easy, healthy & delish weeknight meal, this one will not disappoint!
Healthy “Fried” Chicken
4 cups organic cornflakes
1 tsp. Mrs. Dash seasoning
2 egg yolks
6 tbsp. unpasteurized honey, divided
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. water
¼ tsp. cayenne
2 packages hormone & antibiotic-free chicken thighs (12 small thighs or 600 g)
Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Using a Magic Bullet or food processor, blend corn flakes until finely crumbled. Stir in Mrs. Dash seasoning. Transfer to a medium bowl.
In another medium-sized bowl, whisk together egg yolks, Dijon and honey until smooth & blended.
Unroll or flatten chicken thighs, rinse & pat dry with a paper towel, and season with sea salt. Coat each chicken thigh in the egg mixture, than press into cornflake mixture until completely covered. Lay chicken on baking sheet.
Bake chicken for 20 – 25 minutes.
While chicken is baking, bring 2 tbsp of water to a boil and stir in cayenne. Remove from heat and whisk in 4 tbsp of honey. Set aside.
Drizzle cayenne honey over chicken and serve with a salad – enjoy!
No comments yet.