Eating Healthy Doesn’t Have to Be Complicated

Sorry for the break in posts, but things have been crazy busy! Between attempting to potty train my son, getting ready for baby #2 (coming mid-June), working with clients and my new freelance writing job with Respoken Magazine; my poor blog has been put on the back burner. I’ve also been asked to write a review on a new cookbook that’s just been released called “Nourish, Whole Foods Recipes featuring Seeds, Nuts and Beans” (stay tuned for the review on my blog in the next couple weeks as it includes a giveaway for the cookbook!).

nourish cookbook

I flipped through the cookbook today while my son was napping, and I love the overall nutrition message and there are so many delicious recipes I want to try! The nutrition aspect of the book is written by Registered Dietician Cara Rosenbloom and her introduction really stood out to me as it echoes thoughts that I’ve been having lately.

Rosenbloom talks about keeping it simple when it comes to healthy eating; stock your pantry with whole foods, which she defines as: “these foods are as close to nature as they can be. They have not been highly altered, and no further ingredients have been added to them.” She goes on to say that certain packaged foods are ok, like whole-wheat pasta or organic beans. They have only been slightly altered, mostly for convenience purposes but still have health benefits. She advises to cook most of your meals from scratch using whole foods and healthy packaged food choices. Processed foods, like candy, soda, and deli meats, “have been radically changed from how they once appeared in nature” and should be avoided most of the time. They are high in salt, sugar, food colouring and preservatives, which can have negative effects on our health.

What I love about her outlook is that it’s simple. It can be really easy to get caught up in everything you hear on Dr. Oz or what you read on the internet, and suddenly you lose your way. Even as a nutritionist I find there are so many messages out there about health and nutrition and it can leave me feeling overwhelmed and guilty – like I’m not doing enough for the health of my family if I’m not making bone broth on a weekly basis or if I buy canned tomatoes with a BPA lining once in a while.

Don’t get too caught up in the details. Keep it simple; eat as close to nature as possible 80% of the time. Don’t beat yourself up the other 20% of the time when you don’t have time to cook and order a pizza. Life is busy; do the best you can.

About Lauren

Welcome! I’m Lauren Follett.

A couple years ago, while working in the corporate world of downtown Toronto, I decided to pursue my passion for healthy living and enrolled in the Distance Education program with The Canadian School of Natural Nutrition. I studied on my lunch breaks, after work, on the weekends, and while travelling through South America.

The world of health & nutrition can be confusing. There are a lot of mixed messages out there when it comes to health: low fat, low calories, sugar-free, low-carb, gluten-free…leaving you confused, frustrated, and wondering where to start. That’s where I come in.

As a Registered Nutritionist, my goal is to help you accomplish your health & wellness goals. I don’t believe in diets or quick fixes. I believe in living a healthy lifestyle, which requires you to get educated, and learn how to make healthy choices.

I’m dedicated to working closely with my clients to teach & motivate them to make healthy choices, discuss healthy living strategies and create customized nutrition programs that fit with their life.

,

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Nourish Cookbook Review and Giveaway! - Lauren Follett Registered Nutritionist - May 4, 2016

    […] introduction is a quick and simple message from Rosenbloom on nutrition. As I mentioned in my last post, there are so many messages out there these days about health and nutrition that it can leave you […]

Leave a Reply