Yes the title is true. These healthy pancakes only require 2 ingredients! Eggs and bananas. I was skeptical at first, but they’re really good. They have more of a crepe consistency vs. a fluffy pancake, but you can add baking powder to fluff them up a bit. I also added some almond butter to the batter for added healthy fats, calcium and vitamin E.
This recipe is awesome for toddlers:
- It’s easy: start to finish took me 15 minutes.
- It’s healthy: high in protein, healthy fats & fibre, gluten-free and also a complex carb, which means it provides the body with energy over a longer period of time, and doesn’t spike your blood sugar.
- Freezable: us parents love food that you can freeze. It’s always nice to have healthy options readily available on the fly.
- They make for a great breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner – just add fruit or veggies and you’ve got yourself a complete meal with all the macronutrients.
- No need for added sweeteners. The banana adds natural sweetness to the batter so they’re just the right amount of sweet on there own.
- A perfect way to add eggs to your kids’ diet. Eggs are a superfood and the yolks are a great source of choline – a healthy fat vital to proper brain development.
- Very versatile: there are endless ways to switch up the flavours in these pancakes and keep them exciting for your kids.
Makes approx. 15 mini pancakes
1 large banana, mashed (should be around 1/3 to 1/2 cup when mashed)
2 eggs (free-from hormones & antibiotics)
Coconut oil (to grease the skillet)
1/8 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. natural almond butter or sunflower butter (for nut-free and lunchbox friendly)
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon (stabilizes blood sugar)
¼-cup blueberries/chopped nuts/hemp seeds
Peel and mash the banana, and stir in the egg. Mix in any non-chunky add-ins that you want (e.g. nut butters, baking powder, cinnamon…).
Heat a non-stick skillet and add 1 tbsp. coconut oil. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
Pour a circle of batter into the pan (about 1 or 2 tbsp. of batter per pancake).
Cook until golden brown on the underside (around 1 minute) sprinkle on any chunky ingredients (e.g. blueberries, hemp seeds…), then use a spatula to flip and cook until golden brown on the other side (30 seconds to 1 minute).
Serve warm. Store in the fridge or freezer.